Sweet potato and lentil fritters by Dr. Divya Sharma
These fritters are packed full of goodness. The combination of lentils and sweet potato make these fritters heavenly for our gut!
They are both high in fibre, which supports regular bowel movements and the growth of healthy gut bacteria⠀
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3/8 cup red lentils dried (75g)
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt (omit if for babies)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg or flaxseed egg if vegan
- Cook sweet potato – roast or microwave.
- Once cooked and cooled m, peel away skin and mash.
- Cook lentils: add lentils and 2/3 cup of water into in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Then mash.
- Add sweet potato mash, lentils and rest of ingredients to a bowl. Mix.
- If mixture too runny can add a little more flour – batter should be a bit sticky.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the pan and form into patties.
- Cook for 5 minutes on one side, or until golden-browned. Then flip and cook for a further 5 minutes on the other side.