Jerusalem Artichoke and Goat’s Cheese Salad by Toral Shah Founder of the Urban Kitchen.
We’re off to Toral’s Supper club tonight so we thought it would be cool for you to taste some of her fabulous food by making it yourself! This Jerusalem artichoke salad literally has us salivating.
Jerusalem artichoke, radicchio and apple salad with goat’s cheese
Jerusalem artichokes, known in some countries as sunchokes, are high in inulin, a type of soluble fibre which is a prebiotic. Prebiotics are fuel for the helpful bacteria that live in our gut microbiome. Inulin is fermented in the large intestine and feeds the healthy intestinal gut bacteria which allows them to proliferate and improve gut health. In addition, eating a wide range of seasonal vegetables and fruits provide a range of fuel for the 10000 different types of gut bacteria which provides us with a diverse gut microbiome and a wide range of micronutrients, which are important for long term health. Lightly fermented and pickled foods are also good for gut health.
COOKING TIP – squeeze lemon juice over the apple slices as soon as you cut them to stop them going brown
Ingredients (serves 2 people)
200g Jerusalem artichokes, cut into thin slices
1 tsp olive oil
Half a head of radicchio
50g mustard leaves or other spicy leaves
½ apple, finely sliced
25g pecan or walnut halves
50g goat’s cheese (optional), chopped into dice
1 tsp honey or agave nectar
¼ tsp sea salt
For home pickled onions
100ml cider vinegar
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 tsp white sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp Willie Chases’ unpasteurised apple cider vinegar
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp wholegrain mustard
1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Mix the cider vinegar, salt and sugar for the home pickled onions in a bowl. Add the finely sliced red onions and marinate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas Mark 4
- Arrange the Jerusalem artichoke slices on a baking sheet and drizzle over the olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes until cooked through and lightly golden.
- Mix the pecan or walnut halves with honey or agave nectar and sea salt and bake for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Wash the radicchio and mustard leaves and arrange on two plates.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing into a small jam jar, season and shake well.
- When the artichokes are cooked and cool for a couple of minutes, arrange on the salad leaves along with the apple slices, candied nuts, pickled onions and goat’s cheese.
- Drizzle each salad with 2 tbsp of dressing.